Welcome to Connexions and Rhaptos Software Development
This site is for Historical purposes only. Connexions has moved to Github.
Connexions (cnx.org) is legos for education. It is a world-wide repository and publishing system to build textbooks, courses, lessons, and journals. Individual authors, major content publishers, and educational organizations all contribute. Lenses provide a way for high-quality material to be endorsed, recommended, categorized, and aligned to standards. Rhaptos is the open source software that runs the Connexions site and Enterprise Rhaptos is the software for running private content installations. Read more about Connexions and Rhaptos mission and architecture here.
Table of Contents
- Welcome to Connexions and Rhaptos Software Development
- Enterprise Rhaptos
- APIs for Accessing Connexions Data
- Connexions Rhaptos Development
- Quality Assurance and Testing
- Release and Configuration Details for Connexions and Rhaptos
- iTunes U
- More about TRAC
|Enterprise Rhaptos ||Connexions and Rhaptos Development|
|APIs for Accessing Data ||Quality Assurance and Testing |
Enterprise Rhaptos enables the creation, sharing, modification, and vetting of educational materials accessible to anyone, anywhere, anytime via the World Wide Web. Rhaptos' unique features of permanent versions of all materials, a simple, semantic document language, and a powerful lensing system for post-publication quality control, customized tagging, and community-based search and discovery are the engine behind a truly reusable repository of knowledge and learning. Enterprise Rhaptos allows companies and individual organizations to host their own private authoring platform and publishing repository.
APIs for Accessing Connexions Data
All content that authors contribute to the Connexions global repository can be accessed freely on the web, and third-party services and tools can also access the data programatically to build a powerful network of global information. The following pages describe how to retrieve content from Connexions.
One stop API page
This page just links to the pages below, but it is a handy one stop shopping page for Connexions API access
Accessing content, feeds, and statistics
- RSS Feeds
- URLs to get rendered pages of content, XML, PDFs, zip files, member profiles, lenses, statistics, etc.
- Open Archives metadata harvesting (OAI-PMH) and OpenSearch searches
Downloading, transforming and branding content
- Branding Connexions Content on Your Site
- Reference Implementation Documentation
- Demo showing Rice University Press Lens content
- Live example (Rice University Press)
Software Architecture and Application Programming Interfaces
- Architecture, APIs, etc.
- Document and metadata XML Languages (CNXML, CollXML, MDML)
- Web Services
- Lens APIs
- Module and collection editing and publishing via OERPub based on SWORD
Connexions Rhaptos Development
Welcome developers. Connexions and Rhaptos are open source and we welcome and encourage development from the community. Connexions and the Connexions Consortium provide guidance and structure to development. The following documentation will help new developers get involved.
Developer Resources (Getting involved)
- Subscribe to one of our developer mailing lists
- Read and contribute to the developer blog
- Read older blog posts on our historical developer blog
Roadmap, Designs, Desires
- Connexions Development Plans 2010
- Trac milestones for upcoming and potential development
- Designs and Specifications
- Feature requests (publicly viewable Google doc): As yet unmet requests made by constituents over the years.
- Rhaptos Labs - Experimental work and Partial Implementations
Starting Points for Connexions and Rhaptos Software Development
- Technical Documentation Contains instructions for developing with Connexions and/or Rhaptos
Quality Assurance and Testing
Quality assurance and testing are extremely important to the success of Connexions. Connexions is accessed by millions of people around the world and keeping the site healthy is crucial to continued growth. The following pages describe our processes.
Test, Release, and Configuration Docs
- Testing and Quality Assurance
- SeleniumTestBed -- exercise parts of our system
- Running Funkload Performance Tests
Using the Connexions Rhaptos Trac Bug System
Release and Configuration Details for Connexions and Rhaptos
- Connexions Release Details
- Connexions Configuration Change Details
- Configuration, monitoring, and logs for cnx.org
More about TRAC
- Connexions specific trac tweaks : ticket:3578
- TracGuide -- Built-in Documentation
- The Trac project -- Trac Open Source Project
- Trac FAQ -- Frequently Asked Questions
- TracSupport -- Trac Support
- WikiFormatting -- Trac Wiki Formatting
- TracLinks -- Links to Trac content in Wiki text
For a complete list of local wiki pages, see TitleIndex.